So I’ve just spent the afternoon at the emergency room. Marlene, Katrin and Thomas went into the city this morning to watch the annual sailing race, do some shopping (because: boxing day sales) and go see a show at the Opera House, but I felt like I needed a break from the endless wandering around, not only because of my feet but also because of the super intense Christmas festivities that have taken place in the past two days.

The ’main’ day for us was the 24th, but once we got to Coogee Beach on the 25th where we were supposed to meet up with Nico, Marlene’s Argentinian friend who I, too, got to meet in Buenos Aires a few years ago, it quickly became clear to us that we ain’t seen nothing yet. The beach was full of people, it was absolutely packed – everyone was young and wild and free and drinking and dancing and having a good time. Kind of like a festival, it was nothing like Christmas at home. Crazy!

Anna and I hiding from the rain on the 24th. Christmas in Australia, are you kidding me?

No fancy Christmas dinner, no, but it was SO good.

Behind the scenes (don’t let the looks deceive!): our super tasty Christmas buffet including homemade swede casserole, Swedish meatballs, salmon, herring, potato salad and of course homemade ‘glögg’ or mulled wine, gingerbread cookies and blue cheese, Fazer’s blue chocolate… ah!

Happy faces on Christmas Eve.

Until today Christmas has been surprisingly easy to be away from home. This being my fifth day of celebrations (we started out with Amy’s housemates’ Christmas on the 22nd moving on to her family’s celebrations on the 23rd, our Finnish-German-worldwide gathering on the 24th and the Australians’ main day, the 25th), there’s so many time zones to keep track off that I’m confused not only with the dates but the hours too. Right now I know it’s one hour until 2 pm in Finland when all of my family is going to gather up for a Boxing day lunch and that’s enough. I haven’t really had the time to sit down and think about it in the midst of the past two days’ celebrations, but now as I’m laying in my hostel bed with my foot up in the air it’s caught up on me and I miss home, I miss my family.

Amy and I in her parents’ backyard on the 23rd.

Which brings me back to my foot and my track record on hospital visits, which, I must say, is starting to look pretty impressive. Ten days ago was my fourth time in a hospital or at a clinic since I left home in September, which makes today’s visit the fifth. I managed to hurt my heels pretty badly when jumping down from a railing at a lookout point in Uluru two weeks ago. Assuming that the ground would be soft (it was the color of the soil, that’s as much of a thought as I gave it) I jumped down from the one-and-something-meter high railing with no shoes, landing on my heels with straight legs only to realize it’s not soil or wood or any other soft material for that matter, but tiles. It hurt so, so badly, I could barely move.

We flew to Sydney, and still not able to walk properly (I even got a ride from the gate to the plane in one of those golf carts) I figured it might be best to go see a doctor. With all the plans I have for the coming weeks I did not want to risk worsening my condition if something really was wrong, so I went to the emergency room. They took x-rays of both my feet but nothing was broken, apparently it’s just the soft tissue that’s been damaged. Take painkillers and you can keep up with your daily routines, they said, and so I did, until today, ten days later when I’d come to finish a full pack of ibuprofein and paracetamol and had enough.

So sick of being injured and half in, half out in everything I do I went back to the ER to had my feet checked again. I really want to get back to my daily routine of eating and sleeping well (read: not partying, which is easy to fix now that Christmas is over), doing yoga, working out and just being able to walk properly. Although I’ve come to feel quite at home at hospitals I’d much prefer not having to go there as often as I have in the past couple of months. Now that the pain has moved up my ankle, though, I felt like I didn’t have a choice but to go back, the outcome being another x-ray, one of those ankle support socks and a strict no-heavy-sports policy for six weeks. Apparently heels are extra slow to heal.

What’s worst of all is that I jumped for a photo and it didn’t even turn out good, ha! Unnecessary much? No more risky photography for me, that’s for sure!

THE jump.

Dad and I exploring the super dry outback in Ayers Rock.

Excluding the whole jumping incident, Uluru was good. Super hot, super dry, cloudy, but good. I don’t know if it’s my meditation practice or what, but I’ve stopped taking the weather too seriously, or anything else for that matter, this foot-thing being an exception as it’s really starting to get on my nerves! I’ve come to think that whatever happens happens, you cannot control it but it is up to you to adapt accordingly, so even though the sun set behind the clouds meaning that we did not see the rock shift in color (which is the cool thing about Uluru, what you want to see) and we nearly missed the sunrise the following morning, it was okay. We still saw a lot, and either way you can’t have a top experience everywhere, so it was all good. It was beautiful, but on the other hand it was also just a rock that looks like it’s fallen from the sky and landed in the middle of nowhere. I mean, just look at it!

This was as much of a sunset as we got on Tuesday evening, but it was still beautiful.

The few rays of sun that we were lucky enough to experience on Wednesday morning lit up the whole world, don’t you think?

Maybe my quota of beautiful views has been filled for a while? I think it has.

Hope everyone’s had a happy Christmas and is feeling recharged and ready to take on the last week of 2016!

x Anna